Students! Do you have an amazing talent you want to share with ERMS? The student talent show is your big chance! Auditions are on December 10th and 11th--and although that is still a long ways away, it's a good idea to start planning now so your number can be ready by then. We love to see lots of different types of acts--not just singers and dancers. Show us what we can do and start planning now!
Hey you guys; it’s Chalk Art Festival time again and the Fall Festival theme is:
“All Things Halloween”
Anyone in good standing at Elk Ridge can participate; even teachers!! Here’s how to get started:
- find a partner
- pick up an application in the art department
- come up with a design
- draw and color your design
- fill out your application
- turn in your application by 3 pm Monday, September 22 to Mrs. Bolduc
You may already have a commercial image in mind you want to draw. We will be offering labs or workshops during Wapiti time to show you how to modify commercial images to avoid copyright issues. Hard copy applications are now available in Mrs. Bolduc and Mrs. Gonzales’ rooms also check online apps on our school website! Good luck and ghoulish fun!!
WAPITI WAY OF THE WEEK: Be Responsible—If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.—Malcom X
- Memory Book Staff applications are available from Mr. Simpson in room 209. Anyone who is interested may apply. The first staff meeting for Memory Book will be tomorrow after school in Mr. Simpson’s room 209.
- Pick up a Chalk Art Festival application from the Art Department. They are due on Monday, September 22nd and this year’s theme is “All Things Halloween.”
- If you have applied for tech crew there is a mandatory meeting tomorrow morning BEFORE SCHOOL at 7:30 am in Mrs. Wallace’s room 103.
- Students, do you want to be a part of the MESA club? MESA stands for Math, Engineering and Science Achievement. If you like doing fun experiments, hanging out with friends, having fun, or if you are interested in a career in Math, Science or Engineering, then this organization is for you! We will have a different activity after school every month. You can go on field trips and even attend Physics Day at Lagoon at the end of the year! Please come to a quick informational meeting after school today in Mrs. Campos' room 210.
Elk Ridge lends a hearty welcome to Principal Wyatt Bentley, who will be joining our staff as the new principal for the coming school year. Mr. Urry will be moving to Sunset Ridge, and we will miss him greatly! We are, however, looking forward to getting to know Mr. Bentley. Welcome!
~Elk Ridge Staff
Keyboarding test-outs for 6th graders, and any returning new-8th grade students (who didn't test-out this past spring), is scheduled for Monday, June 30th from 10:00 to 1:00 in room 209.
Timed writings are three minutes (3) in length and in order to pass this test you are required to have a speed of at least 35 word per minute with no more than 6 errors. You are allowed to take the timed writing multiple times, but if your first attempt is less than 25 word per minute your chances of passing are not that great.
To prepare for this you may want to practice by keying in straight copy text in three minute intervals. Using programs like Microsoft Word you can easily check to see how many words you typed in three minutes. To get the words per minute score you divide the total words by 3.
We look forward to seeing our 7th and 8th graders back again in the fall, and also meeting our new 7th graders coming in! School starts on Tuesday, August 26th. Have a great summer!
Greetings Elk Ridge Families!
The end of the school year rapidly approaches. Elk Ridge is brimming with testing, activities, performances, and end-of-year business tasks. Below is a glimpse of current/upcoming events. All of our evening performances are free; please come and support the Performing Arts – the kids are talented and excited to perform for a live audience.
Monday, April 28 – Friday, May 23 SAGE TESTING
Monday, May 19 – Friday, May 23 Spirit Week
Monday, May 19 NJHS Inductions (7:00 pm in the auditorium)
Tuesday, May 20 Student of the Month Breakfast (7:20 am in the Media Center); Spring Orchestra Concert (7:00 pm in the auditorium)
Wednesday, May 21 Dance Performance (7:00 pm in the auditorium)
Thursday, May 22 Community Hot Dog Roast (5:30 – 6:30 pm in front of school); Spring Choir Concert (7:00 in the auditorium)
Tuesday, May 27 Improv Nite (7:00 pm in the auditorium)
Wednesday, May 28 Wapiti Medallion Banquet (6:00 pm meal; 7:00 pm Award Ceremony)
Thursday, May 29 Spring Band Concert (7:00 pm in the auditorium)
Friday, May 30 Spring Chalk Art Festival (during the day); ERMS Art Show (4:00 – 8:00 in the auditorium)
- Thank you to the PTA for recognizing our teachers with goodies and treats during Teacher Appreciation Week. The teachers particularly appreciated the thank-you notes that were written by the students.
- The end of SAGE is in sight! Students will finish the Language Arts SAGE on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday – Friday will be used as make-up days for any student needing to make-up any portion of the SAGE.
- PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE monitor your student’s lunch account balance to ensure that there are sufficient funds for your student to purchase school lunch.
- Lagoon Day for 9th graders is Thursday, June 5. The cost is $5 for transportation (payable to Elk Ridge and due by May 30) and $30 for the entry fee (payable to Lagoon upon arrival). Permission slips are available in the Main Office. They are due by May 30. Note: Lagoon only accepts CASH OR CREDIT CARDS – NO CHECKS.
We appreciate your diligence in making sure your students arrive in dress-code-appropriate attire. We also thank you for your continued support!
Michelle Kilcrease, Assistant Principal
Spirit Week Activities!
Monday May 19: Character Day (Dress like your favorite book character, video game, Disney, or media character)
Tuesday May 20: Mixed Match Day
Wednesday May 21: Twin Day (Dress like a friend)
Thursday May 22: Blackout Day
Friday May 23: Aloha Friday (Beach Day)